Re: [Phys-L] charge distribution leading up to a capacitor

On 07/29/2016 04:21 PM, Robert Cohen wrote:

I understand and agree that the ratio is essentially 1.

However, it is not exactly 1 on the plate. If it was, it would be neutral.

On the third hand, the ratio still has no physical significance.

Using notation where
r := N_pos / N_neg

we can also define
q := N_pos - N_neg.

where q is the /charge/.

AFAICT the thing that appears in the Maxwell equations is q, not r.

Furthermore, r alone is not sufficient to determine q. There are ways of
changing r by several orders of magnitude without changing q.

I cannot imagine any practical and/or pedagogical reason for introducing
the concept of r. It's just not a good way to organize the thoughts or
the calculations.