Re: [Phys-L] irreversible quasistatic

Consider the following system: A heat engine drives a shaft which
is connected to a mechanical brake. The brake is inside the system
boundary. The subsystem consisting of the heat engine is reversible,
but the overall system is grossly irreversible.

The PV "indicator diagram" for the heat engine is the same as it
would be without the brake. It's just not the whole story.

Area on the indicator diagram has dimensions of energy, but there
is more to physics than dimensional analysis. For a reversible
system, the PdV work must be delivered across the system boundary,
because there is nowhere else for it to go. As soon as you add
in the irreversible brake, there are additional terms in the
equations.

Using a Joule-Thompson plug makes the braking action internal
to the gas, but it's the same idea.

Thanks, I fully agree with your thinking. But for pedagogical reasons (despite the engineering impracticality) I want to focus *only* on the engine subsystem. For specificity, you may assume I’m thinking of an ideal gas that undergoes an Otto-type cycle (two isochoric and two thermally-insulated processes). Note that I am using “Otto-type” and not “Otto” because many people define the latter to mean reversible; likewise I am using “thermally-insulated” instead of “adiabatic” to avoid anyone thinking I mean “isentropic.”

Standard analysis would be to analyze this engine assuming it’s reversible. I want to know what happens if one or more of the four processes are irreversible; however, all four remain quasistatic so that we can draw well-defined PV or TS diagrams. For specificity, assume one of the isochoric processes is as I described in my previous email.

Now what do you say?

-----
Carl E. Mungan, Professor of Physics 410-293-6680 (O) -3729 (F)
Naval Academy Stop 9c, 572C Holloway Rd, Annapolis MD 21402-1363