Re: [Phys-L] The Physics Teacher and relativistic mass

On 07/27/2016 05:55 AM, Richard Tarara wrote:
The 'real world' situation that has always seemed to me to call for
velocity dependent mass is the following. You have an electron (or
any charged particle) accelerator and the ability to measure the
velocity (in the lab frame) of the accelerated electrons.

It's ironic, because if you examine that system more carefully,
it is the poster child for why you do /not/ want to use
velocity-dependent mass.

a) It takes some force in the dθ direction to bend the particle
trajectory, to constrain it to follow the circular path.

b) This is an /accelerator/ and it takes some force in the dr
direction to accelerate the particle.

If we now define the velocity-dependent mass in the usual way, we
find *two different* values for it. Back in the day, people tried
a huge mess, but it was the state of the art for about a year, more
than 100 years ago. Then people got smart and started using the
invariant mass instead.

https://www.av8n.com/physics/spacetime-welcome.htm
https://www.av8n.com/physics/spacetime-acceleration.htm