Re: [Phys-L] Congratulations Dan

On Jun 2, 2016, at 9:18 PM, Savinainen Antti <antti.savinainen@kuopio.fi> wrote:

Hi,

I just found out that Dan McaIsaac has received a Homer L. Dodge Citation for Distinguished Service to AAPT. This is good news and well deserved: congratulations Dan!

Thank you kindly sir. That award is mainly for AAPT committee work.

You would deserve a separate award for inventing and maintaining the Phys-L.

Interestingly enough, PHYS-L originated with a man named Richard C (Dick) Smith who ran it on _bitnet_ about 1985; it predates the internet and web both.
PHYS-L is a _very old_ list as such things are considered. I am old as well :^).
I nominated Dick for an AAPT service award for founding PHYS-L that he received in 2003, see <https://www.aapt.org/Programs/awards/dscitations.cfm <https://www.aapt.org/Programs/awards/dscitations.cfm>>.
John Denker and Mark Kimball do all of the PHY-L work now, John even pays for the domain registration from his personal funds while Mark hosts and maintains the software.
Please thank them. Thank you very much, John and Mark.

In case someone does not know, Dan has taken care of the "Websights" section in the Physics Teacher. Interestingly, the Phys-L and some of its members have appeared in the section over the years.

Yes, quite a coincidence :^). Surprisingly John Denker even wrote a guest column :^).
Beware I will cite you if you say something cool and relevant on PHYS-L, it’s a little dangerous that way.
I will try to get your permission if I include your name, and will try not to associate your name with less than thoughtful posts :^).

Regards,

Antti Savinainen
Finland
Viesti on tarkastettu roskapostinsuodatus- ja virustorjuntaohjelmistolla.
Tarkastuksesta huolimatta noudata asianmukaista varovaisuutta liitetiedostoja avatessasi.

Best regards, Dan M (at uni-koln right now, listening and talking with german physics teachers)

Dan MacIsaac, Associate Professor of Physics, SUNY-Buffalo State College
462SciBldg BSC, 1300 Elmwood Ave, Buffalo NY 14222 USA 1-716-878-3802
<macisadl@buffalostate.edu> <http://PhysicsEd.BuffaloState.edu>
Physics Graduate Coordinator & NSF Investigator for ISEP (MSP) and Noyce