Re: [Phys-L] another DIY relativity experiment

On 05/27/2016 09:37 PM, David Bowman wrote:

describing the properties of the singular coordinate horizon

I have been having trouble following this discussion.

The topic is relativistic acceleration of an extended object, right?
If not, please clarify.

I don't see any advantage to using a singular coordinate system,
especially one that misbehaves in the g --> 0 limit. Usually
when I am faced with a singular coordinate system, e.g. when
navigating in the arctic, my first move is to replace it with
a nonsingular one.

The underlying physics isn't singular. There's no way to build
an actual rocket that does anything singular. There is a point
where monkey business would occur, hypothetically *if* that
point were part of the rocket, but it isn't, so there's no
problem. The whole situation can be described just fine
using nonsingular coordinates AFAICT. Why bother with singular
coordinates? What's the problem we are trying to solve, and
why can't it be solved using plain old [t,x,y,z] coordinates?

If it can be solved two ways, why not start with the easy
way? What additional insight comes via the hard way?

Here's how I think of it:
https://www.av8n.com/physics/hyperbolic-motion.htm
especially
https://www.av8n.com/physics/hyperbolic-motion.htm#fig-hyperbolic-rocket-center