Re: [Phys-L] the sign of g

There are many ways to tackle this problem and others have presented some. I would only emphasize that breaking the idea that 'g' carries an intrinsic negative sign will help later on when you have to be careful about forces between charges where students want to carry the signs into the algebra. Again it is a case of setting a coordinate system and using attractive/repulsive to determine the direction (and therefore the sign) of the force on a given charge.

rwt