Re: [Phys-L] students in charge of ....., or not

Hello all,

I went into lurk mode here about 4 years ago, when I transitioned from a career in industry to teaching university physics. At the time, I ventured to briefly write about a new experiment (for us that is, at the time) in transforming our classrooms from a "pure lecture + disconnected lab" to an integrated "lecture-studio" environment that emphasizes (inter)active engagement. At the time, I came to think better about whether to discuss it much, and that remains true now, although now I have 4 years of experience and volumes of thoughts about why this is a good idea in general but can suffer from a multitude of flaws in implementation. At any rate, now that I've completed my 4th end-of-year ritual, I figured this summer might be a good time to contribute random thoughts.