Re: [Phys-L] gravitational waves (Ludwik Kowalski)

On 2016, Apr 13, , at 11:05, Donald Polvani <dgpolvani@verizon.net> wrote:

The two LIGO detectors (Hanford, WA and Livingston, LA) are 3002 km apart.
For a gravitational wave, traveling at the speed of light, this gives a
range of possible delay times between the two detectors of 0 to 10 ms
depending on the angle of arrival of the wave. The observed delay time for
the September detection was 6.9 ms. The angular position of the source is
reported as within an area of 600 deg^2 consistent with the 6.9 ms
measurement. The experimenters say that to further pin down the angle of
arrival (and, thus, the speed of the wave) a third remote detector is
required (possibly in India?).

Yes, unless, as Wm. Katzmann suggested, the event is optically or otherwise detected?

https://physics.aps.org/featured-article-pdf/10.1103/PhysRevLett.116.061102 <https://physics.aps.org/featured-article-pdf/10.1103/PhysRevLett.116.061102>

Don

You answered my about to send question. But I presume the signals must be very similar to not be confused by noise?

Which reminds me on my involvement during the IGY of a large area cosmic ray shower detector. The detectors were two 5” MPTs (in coincidence) looking at a multi-gallon Cherenkov scintillator. (water). Separations: several hundred meters. Originally the PI was going to use cable -Yikes! Until I suggested using APS 13s, which I obtained from a military surplus store on Market St. in SF. (Much has changed!) I still have one. Not much modification needed!

http://www.radiomilitari.com/aps13.html

bc