Re: [Phys-L] icy roads

I should have written Sugarbeets.

On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 8:47 AM, Bennett <bennett@oakland.edu> wrote:

My city spreads beet juice with or before the salt to keep ice from
sticking to the pavement.

i find it working very well.

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 3:59 PM, <rjensen@ualberta.ca> wrote:

From the article

http://gizmodo.com/screw-salt-wisconsin-is-de-icing-its-roads-with-cheese-1468422497

"While regular salt brine freezes at six below zero, cheese brine
doesn't freeze until 21 below zero, ..."

After confirming that the brines are predominantly NaCl, I was
confused until I realized that -6 °F = -21 °C

Like the Gimli Glider and Mars Climate Orbiter, the authors of this
article are confusing metric and imperial units. Is this purposeful to
falsely promote Wisconsin cheese brines, or simple ignorance?

Dr. Roy Jensen
Lecturer, Chemistry
W5-19, University of Alberta
780.248.1808