Re: [Phys-L] Simulation on polarization

On 2016, Feb 05, , at 07:20, Savinainen Antti <antti.savinainen@kuopio.fi> wrote:

Hello,

a student wanted to understand the following situation: when unpolarized light passes through a polarizer, 50% of the intensity passes through regardless of the orientation of the polarizer. I gave her two explanations. However, she felt that it would help to see a simulation on the situation.
Subsequently, I found the following YouTube presentation which was the student (and I as well) found helpful:
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YkfEft4p-w>.

Being averse to vid. clips, I only “skimmed” it. So did I miss a demonstration or is it only CGIs?

From my distant past (ca. 1954), I remember the jump rope analogies. I suppose one could design a shaker that shook the rope at random angles. However, one may easily excite the rope w/ circular polarization, then select any angle of polarization w/ a slot. Another slot would then show Malus’ law. e.g.

(@ ~ 2 minutes)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wP-HME8fpnI

bc thinks that demo is, unfortunately, CGI, also.

p.s. I prefer metal grates and X-band microwaves to demonstrate optics; homologies, not simulations.

see: http://www.cleyet.org/Misc._Physics/Microwave-Optics/