Re: [Phys-L] Temperature for the calorie?

I think the conversion (1 cal = 4.18 J) came from Joule's paddle wheel
experiment. A mass was allowed to drop, which was connected to a device
that mixed the water and increased its temperature.

I think the US is the only country with food labels that only list
Calories = 260. I have international food packages that say Energy = 130
kcal = 540 kJ...