[Phys-L] Evidence for a Distant Giant Planet in the Solar System

We find that the observed orbital alignment can be maintained by a
distant eccentric planet with mass ≳10 m⊕.

Konstantin Batygin and Michael E. Brown
"EVIDENCE FOR A DISTANT GIANT PLANET IN THE SOLAR SYSTEM"
http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.3847/0004-6256/151/2/22 (html)
http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.3847/0004-6256/151/2/22/pdf

The full text of the article is online, free for all.

Authors:
http://web.gps.caltech.edu/~kbatygin/Home.html
http://web.gps.caltech.edu/~mbrown/

This is the same Michael E. Brown who wrote the book
_How I Killed Pluto and Why It Had It Coming_ (2010)

I mention this because it makes a good answer to the student who
thinks that all the interesting physics and astronomy got done
hundreds of years ago.

It must be emphasized that the authors call this a hypothesis, not
yet fully confirmed.

On the other hand MEB has a track record of being ultra-careful and
conservative to a fault, so I reckon this is several steps up from
being a garden-variety rumor.