[Phys-L] PHYSICS is essential for college & career readiness (research quotes)

PHYSICS is essential for college & career readiness. Thus many more high school students should take physics. Nationwide, almost 40% do (up from 20% in the 1980s). Below are quotes from research.
Suggestion: Forward this to high school physics teachers and/or school counselors in your town.
-- Jane Jackson

The ACT policy platform: K-12 (2013) states (on page 8):
ACT research has demonstrated the benefits to student academic performance of a minimum core curriculum that includes the following: ... Three years of science, including rigorous courses in Biology, Chemistry, and PHYSICS [MY CAPS] ...
Specifically:
* Students who take the ACT-recommended core curriculum in high school achieve higher ACT scores than those who do not. Compared to graduates who do not take the core curriculum, graduates who take the core curriculum earn composite ACT scores that are, on average, three points higher. ...
* Compared to high school graduates who do not take the recommended core curriculum, graduates who take the core are more likely to be ready for workforce training programs.

www.act.org/content/dam/act/unsecured/documents/Policy-Platforms-k-12-online.pdf

Š students who take an upper-level sequence of science courses that includes Physics are substantially more likely to reach the College Readiness Benchmark in Science (24) than students who took only Biology and Chemistry or less. (ACT 2006, p. 3. 45% are ready vs ~20%)
files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED493179.pdf

We find that the number of years of a science or math subject taken in high school is associated with significant increases in STEM career interest, with results differing by subject. Taking AP courses in science or calculus appear to have no significant impact on STEM career interest over that of other advanced, non-AP courses. Taking calculus, a second year of chemistry, or one or two years of physics all predict large increases in STEM career interest. Additional years in biology and other subjects show no such relationship.
-- Philip M. Sadler et al. (2014). Science Educator, Vol.23, No.1, pp. 1-13. See Fig. 3.
nsela.org/images/stories/scienceeducator/Summer2014/Sadler_231.pdf

... students in the highest levels (Physics I and Chemistry II or Physics II) are significantly more likely than students in the Chemistry I only group to obtain a baccalaureate degree in a STEM major. Š This finding may also suggest that Physics I, Physics I with Honors, AP Physics B, or AP Physics C are higher level courses than comparable Chemistry I courses ...
-- Will Tyson et al., (2007). Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Pathways: High School Science and Math Coursework and Postsecondary Degree Attainment, Journal of Education for Students Placed at Risk, Vol. 12, No. 3, pp. 243-270.

Physics is a gateway course for post-secondary study in science, medicine, and engineering, as well as an essential component in the formation of students' scientific literacy.
-- Position Statement of the National Alliance of Black School Educators (2012)

vector.nsbp.org/2012/03/16/national-alliance-of-black-school-educators-endorses-physics-first/

Interactive engagement high school physics programs (e.g., Modeling Instruction) are associated with an increase in the number of students who intend to major in STEM, compared to lecture-based physics. They are highest in the world in science literacy.
-- TIMSS Physics Achievement Comparison Study (2000. Table 15: 47% intend, vs 32% in USA. Table A4: 595 mean literacy score, vs 480 in USA)
modeling.asu.edu/Evaluations/TIMSS_NSFphysicsStudy99.pdf