Re: [Phys-L] elastic collisions

The result can also be arrived at using
V1 f- V2f = V2i - V1i (coefficient restitution is 1 for perfectly elastic
collisions)
I would teach this after the students are initially exposed to conservation
of momentum and KE and have worked out a few problems using those ideas.
The bring in the idea of coefficient of restitution, use that in a few
problems and finally V1f = 2Vcm - V1i

Please take a look at this animation.

http://www.surendranath.org/GPA/Dynamics/Collisions/Collisions.html

Best Wishes,