Re: [Phys-L] mindless equation-hunting ... or not

This is a reassuring email to read! In the end, I came in this morning and
did in fact show my students the equation and where it came from.

(I am talking about Vfinal = 2xVcm - Vinitial for elastic collisions.)

I told them that I had hesitated before sharing the result because I
worried that they would just use the result in a robotic way. It's nice to
be able to solve elastic collision problems, but that's not all this is
after. After all, we already have two other methods we have learned and we
have simulators that get good answers too. We are after the understanding
behind the method.

In the end, I decided that if I don't want mindless answers, it's my job to
construct the kind of question that can't be answered mindlessly.

Also, you never know where things will lead. On the way out, one of my
students pointed out that the center-of-mass velocity is the average of the
initial and final velocity of either object. Good point...