Re: [Phys-L] weighting in the wings ... damped harmonic oscillator ... bandwidth ... algebra ... bug hunting

On Wednesday, November 23, 2016 4:53 PM, John Denker wrote:

FWHM = f_U - f_L = f_0/Q

We all agree that is correct in the high-Q limit.

However, for smallish Q, it's messier. The quartic has at most two positive
roots, and it's easy enough to solve in terms of the square roots of square
roots, but it's ugly. The cleanest form I've been able to obtain is
Δϕ = √(ϕ^2_peak + 1/|G|_peak)
- √(ϕ^2_peak - 1/|G|_peak) for Q ≥ Qmin

where the normalized FWHM is Δϕ = FWHM / f0. I checked this graphically
and numerically for rather small Q.

I don't understand why FWHM = f_U - f_L = f_0/Q isn't correct for all Q big or small. I solved the quartic gain function equation exactly. There was no approximation made that Q had to be "big". Specifically, I solved:

G(f) = 1/(1 + Q^2*(f/f_0 - f_0/f)^2) = 1/2

Therefore

(f/f_0 - f_0/f)^2 = 1/Q^2

Therefore:

f/f_0 - f_0/f = 1/Q (1)
f/f_0 - f_0/f = -1/Q (2)

Equation (1) can be simply solved with the quadratic formula to yield:

f_1 = f_0*(1 + sqrt(1 + 4*Q^2))/(2*Q)
f_2 = f_0*(1 - sqrt(1 + 4*Q^2))/(2*Q)

Equation (2) can be similarly solved to yield:

f_3 = -f_0*(1 + sqrt(1 + 4*Q^2))/(2*Q)
f_4 = -f_0*(1 - sqrt(1 + 4*Q^2))/(2*Q)

As we all agree now, the upper and lower edges (f_U and f_L) of the FWHM are given by f_1 and f_4, respectively. Roots f_2 and f_3 pertain to negative frequency solutions. Note, no approximations have been made in the solutions with respect to Q. Both f_U , f_L, and G(F) vary smoothly (and to me, reasonably) with Q as Q is varied from 0 to infinity. I've computed and plotted the normalized functions, f_U/f_0, f_L/f_0, (f_U/f_0 - f_L/f_0), and G(f)/f_0 for Q = 0.001 to Q = 1000. They all behave reasonably.

What am I missing here?

Don Polvani

Adjunct faculty, Physics, Retired
Anne Arundel Community College