Re: [Phys-L] placement / evaluation tests ... or not

On Sep 20, 2016, at 7:41 PM, John Denker <jsd@av8n.com> wrote:

On 12/14/2013 10:26 AM, Promod Pratap wrote:
I was
wondering if there exists a test that we can administer in the first week
of the first course of the algebra-based physics sequence that would
predict student success in the course.

Such tests exist, and sometimes they help, but sometimes they
cause problems. In particular, math proficiency is a very
strong predictor of which students will do well in the course.

continuing: