[Phys-L] Source of a story about the noble gases

Help requested!

Years ago I read a story of a chemistry lecturer who set a student a tutorial problem to show that a noble gas compound was thermodynamically unstable. The story goes that the student did the exercise, but got the result that the compound should be thermodynamically stable. When the lecturer could not find any error in the calculation, he set about synthesising the compound.

I cannot find reference to this story now. Does anyone else know this story, and if so, what the source was?

Best wishes

Keith

--

Dr. Keith S. Taber
Chair: Science, Technology & Mathematics Education Academic Group

Editor: Chemistry Education Research and Practice
(Published by the Royal Society of Chemistry)
http://www.rsc.org/publishing/journals/rp/about.asp

Book Reviews Editor: Studies in Science Education
http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/titles/03057267.asp

Editor-in-Chief: RSC Advances in Chemistry Education Series
Royal Society of Chemistry Book Series

http://www.educ.cam.ac.uk/staff/taber.html

https://camtools.cam.ac.uk/access/wiki/site/~kst24/index.html

Twitter: @DrKeithSTaber

Science Education Centre
University of Cambridge Faculty of Education
184 Hills Road
Cambridge CB2 8PQ
United Kingdom

ECLIPSE -
Exploring Conceptual Learning, Integration and Progression
in Science Education
https://camtools.cam.ac.uk/wiki/eclipse/Eclipse.html