Re: [Phys-L] Solar Constant Puzzle.

On 2014, May 27, , at 09:22, rjensen@ualberta.ca wrote:

Sure, I'll bite.

I see two factors: heat flux and heat capacity.

Given identical exteriors in steady state, the heat flux is constant.
Thus the temperatures are constant.

The heat capacities of the solid cylinders is greater than the cans,
so the tin cans will reach steady state faster. The cans are more
responsive to changing solar irradiation.

The only diff. I can fathom is when little sun, it would require days to reach equilibrium. So they would differ until …..

bc