Re: [Phys-L] Hydrometer (was Hygrometer)

On 4/24/2014 5:49 PM, Bernard Cleyet wrote:

On 2014, Apr 24, , at 14:05, brian whatcott <betwys1@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

bc you are no more puzzled than I am. I thought the evaporation route was quasi-distillation - though evidently methanol is in fact carried off with water and other congenors in a spirit still.

Brian Altus OK - Indian Territory.
Huh..???
I don’t think salt evaps. along w/ the water?
And yes; fractional distillation is necessary to separate liquids by distillation. e.g. many equivalent plates.
Theoretical plate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theoretical_plate

bc used a column of packed beads in vacuum distillation of oil, Sohxlet extracted from marijuana.

Given half a chance and I will wander off-topic... your packed beads column reminds me of the classic column packing - fuller's earth, - with a rubber membrane for a syringe sample at one end, a hydrogen flame electrometric style detector at the other - and a heated column oven and a pen recorder saving the amplified output - all homebrew of course. Cannot remember the driver gas at this remove.
I flew myself back from Corpus Christi on Tuesday, so the memory of just how corrosive that hypersaline environment is to unprotected steel is still fresh in mind. And if salt is transported bodily, it makes that rust-prone place a little easier to understand.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Indian Territory.