Re: [Phys-L] The Poincare version? of Hypotheses non fingo

All of the arguments against a causality interpretation ignore the way that
people actually think. While matematically speaking the equation does not
imply causality, it can be helpful to students to think in terms of
causality. They already have a causal link between force and velociy that
must be moved over to a causal link between force and acceleration. Changes
in thinking work by taking existing paradigms and modifying them to fit new
situations. Overlaying them with different abstract representations does
not change the existing underlying structure. There is a developmental
process that needs to be followed.

I suggest that treating equations as just a math game produces weak
understanding of the physical processes. Unfortunately that is what most
math and physics courses currently do. There is also the factor that
students who test below formal operational can not understand the fine
distinctions involved in causality and equations. I would suggest that
metaphysics can be useful.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

This quote is very similar comments from a regular on PHYS-L
over the years (JD) who has argued forcefully against
interpreting an equality as l.h.s. causes r.h.s or
vice-versa; e.g. against interpreting F=ma as F causes a.

JR