Re: [Phys-L] Each ray travels "as if it knew" all values of t=t1+t2

On 2014, Apr 14, , at 08:50, Ken Caviness <caviness@southern.edu> wrote:

Thanks for the corrections/supplemental material. Yes, I shouldn't have called this a quantum-mechanical effect. I've taught Modern Physics from a book that showed how classical wave relationships lead to an uncertainty principle relating delta_x and delta_k for a wave packet, preparatory to moving to the uncertainty principle in quantum physics. It was interesting to realize how much of what we tend to think of as quantum is really just a classical wave treatment. *** But beyond that are the true quantum, classically forbidden, contributions.

Fresnel zone plates, Miller's correction to Huygen's principle, great stuff -- very nice connections. Threads like this are why this forum is worth our time.

Thanks,

Ken

As I’ve posted before in ref. to FTIR and barrier transmission, Bob Eisberg said, “A wave is a wave is wave is a wave.”

bc demonstrates Fresnel zones with X-band radio.

*** Reminds me that many forget that early in the development of RCL circuits they were modeled by mechanical elements (mass, spring, and dash pots). While now it’s the reverse.