Re: [Phys-L] under pressure

On 4/13/2014 12:36 PM, Anthony Lapinski wrote:
/snip/
I am also wondering how thick the metal in these modules are, and is the
air inside pressurized so they have enough oxygen to breathe for a long
time?

Maintaining physiological oxygen saturation is not a function of ambient pressure alone.
How long the crew can breathe there is (I imagine) a function of the module's oxygen
storage or generation capability, the proportion of O2 in the ambient, along with the efficiency of the CO2 scrubbers etc.
Certainly a vessel is structurally stronger when it's skin is in tension (unless it is made of concrete) as you will notice in observing a flaccid balloon, when inflated.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Indian Territory.