Re: [Phys-L] imperfect transformers and/or multi-terminal capacitors

On 04/01/2014 01:49 PM, Bernard Cleyet wrote:
This is something that has puzzled me since I first noticed a v. long
time ago.

The drop from OC E/q to loaded w/ a rather high resistance is not
explained by the internal resistance and the external resistance
load. i.e. the E/q is > predicted by the input E/q and the turns
ratio.

Yeah, that's a good question. I noticed the same thing,
and it had me mystified for quite a while, longer than
I care to admit. However, there exists a reeeeeally
good answer.

Possibly helpful pedagogical suggestion: Start with multi-
terminal capacitors. This can be formalized in terms of
the capacitance matrix:
-- self-capacitances on the diagonal
-- mutual capacitances elsewhere

I mention this because most people have a better intuition
about electric fields and charges than about magnetic fields
and currents.

As a second stage, you can map the capacitance matrix
formalism onto the inductance matrix formalism:
*) An /ideal/ transformer will have the mutual inductances
equal to the self-inductances. This leads to some weird
cancellations and singularities.
*) In contrast, a non-ideal transformer will have some
"extra" self-inductance. I reckon this is a big piece
of the answer to the question that was asked. You can
develop any voltage you like across the "extra" self-
inductance on the primary; it's not locked to whatever
is going on with the secondary.

The formalism is trickier than you might have expected,
especially when it comes to /inverting/ the capacitance
matrix ... but it's not too bad once you know the tricks.
http://www.av8n.com/physics/capacitance.htm