Re: [Phys-L] Charter Schools: A Marketplace for Profits or Ideas?

Some subscribers to Phys-L might be interested in a discussion list post "Re: Charter Schools: A Marketplace for Profits or Ideas?" [Hake (2014)]. The abstract reads:

ABSTRACT: In a discussion "Charter Schools: A Marketplace for Profits or Ideas?" Bill Moyers' <http://bit.ly/1feQ5iw> interviewed Diane Ravitch, who stated: "The lure of getting federal money made many states change their laws to open the door to many, many more charter schools. . . . . . . Public education is becoming big business as bankers, hedge fund managers, and private equity investors are entering what they consider to be an 'emerging market.' As Rupert Murdoch put it <http://bit.ly/1pAwGMh> after purchasing an education technology company, 'When it comes to K through 12 education, we see a $500 billion sector in the US alone' . . . . . . I think what's at stake is the future of American public education. I believe it is one of the foundation stones of our democracy: So an attack on public education is an attack on democracy." See also "Here is the Bill Moyers Interview in Full" [Ravitch (2014)] at <http://bit.ly/1mFTAmo>.
Over 4 decades ago economist Albert O. Hirschman (1970) in "Exit, Voice, and Loyalty: Responses to Decline in Firms, Organizations, and States" <http://bit.ly/11QKoRB>, made a case against charter-schools similar to that made by Ravitch. He first quoted the conservative economist Milton Friedman who argued that SCHOOL VOUCHERS SHOULD REPLACE THE CURRENT PUBLIC-SCHOOL SYSTEM, writing "Parents could express their views about schools directly, by withdrawing their children from one school and sending them to another."

Hirschman then countered (my CAPS): "[Friedman's opinion] is a near perfect example of the ECONOMIST'S BIAS IN FAVOR OF EXIT AND AGAINST VOICE: In the first place, Friedman considers withdrawal or exit as the 'direct' way of expressing one's unfavorable views of an organization. *A person less well trained in economics might naively suggest that the direct way of expressing views is to express them!* Secondly, the decision to voice one's views and efforts to make them prevail are contemptuously referred to by Friedman as a resort to 'cumbrous political channels.' But what else is the political, and indeed the democratic, process than the digging, the use, and hopefully the slow improvement of these very channels?"

To access the complete 57 kB post please click on <http://bit.ly/1hcMHkF>.

Richard Hake, Emeritus Professor of Physics, Indiana University; Honorary Member, Curmudgeon Lodge of Deventer, The Netherlands; President, PEdants for Definitive Academic References which Recognize the Invention of the Internet (PEDARRII); LINKS TO: Academia <http://bit.ly/a8ixxm>; Articles <http://bit.ly/a6M5y0>; Blog <http://bit.ly/9yGsXh>; Facebook <http://on.fb.me/XI7EKm>; GooglePlus <http://bit.ly/KwZ6mE>; Google Scholar <http://bit.ly/Wz2FP3>; Linked In <http://linkd.in/14uycpW>; Research Gate <http://bit.ly/1fJiSwB>; Socratic Dialogue Inducing (SDI) Labs <http://bit.ly/9nGd3M>; Twitter <http://bit.ly/juvd52>.

REFERENCES [URL shortened by <http://bit.ly/> and accessed on 31 March 2014.]

Hake, R.R. 2014. "Re: Charter Schools: A Marketplace for Profits or Ideas?"online on the OPEN! AERA-L archives at <http://bit.ly/1hcMHkF>. The abstract and link to the complete post are being transmitted to several discussion lists and are also on my blog "Hake'sEdStuff" at <http://bit.ly/1mGrN5i>.