[Phys-L] excitations of the fields

Hi --

I've got an idea that isn't fully formed, but the more
I think about it the more I like it. Maybe the folks
on the list can contribute. I wrote it up at
http://www.av8n.com/physics/field-excitation.htm

It starts by saying:

In terms of fundamental physics, the most basic things are
the fields and the excitations of the fields. Sometimes the
excitations look particle-like, sometimes they look wave-like,
rarely both, often neither.

I mention this because lately I’ve been getting questions
from several directions about “wave/particle duality”.
One could make a pretty strong argument that there’s no
such thing. The whole approach is a Bad Idea. It’s not
good technically, it’s not good pedagogically, it’s just
not worth the trouble. The smart approach is to focus on
the fields and the excitations in the fields, and not
even worry about what’s a particle and what’s not.

Lots more detail and some specific possibly-constructive
suggestions can be found at
http://www.av8n.com/physics/field-excitation.htm