[Phys-L] forwarded: mineralogist lecture / global climate change

I don’t think this was forwarded:

I read, enjoyably, the blogged write-up. (first link below)

On 2013, Feb 19, , at 09:47, kirby urner <kirby.urner@GMAIL.COM> wrote:

Dr. Robert Hazen, author of The Story of Earth, lectured in Portland,
Oregon recently.

He expressed certainty that humans were provably orders of magnitude
higher in contributing to net CO2 in Earth's atmosphere next to any
runner-up secondary cause. It's "uber anthropogenic" I think he'd
agree with that term.

He's a well recognized mineralogist with an actual mineral named after
him (Hazenite), so I think I'll choose to go with his assessment on
the matter, until further notice.

Here's my blogged write-up of his talk:

http://controlroom.blogspot.com/2013/02/evolving-minerals.html

The lecture on bacterial evolution last week was also interesting and
the content dove-tailed to some degree:

http://mybizmo.blogspot.com/2013/02/bacteria-aint-dumb.html

The latter writeup touches on a recent topic on this list as well:
the appropriateness / inappropriateness of anthropomorphic language.
"Shall we think of bacteria as 'sentient'? Discuss." might have been
a subtitle of the lecture.

Dr. Hazen's talk was not specifically about global warming at all.
That came up during Q&A. He was more there to talk about how the
permutations you'll find in the crystal kingdom are tied to an
evolutionary scenario much as the biologicals are and indeed the
biosphere and geosphere co-evolve.

Kirby

bc