Re: [Phys-L] From a Math Prof (physics BS major) at my institution ( math challenge)

On 02/25/2014 08:58 AM, Jeffrey Schnick wrote:
I ran a Monte Carlo Octave function

Good!

to investigate occurrences of sequences of 2 numbers in a row and,
occurrences of round numbers (10,20,30). In a million sets of 21
rows of five numbers between 1 and 35 inclusive, I got 2784 cases in
which there were exactly 2 round numbers and only 133 cases in which
there were exactly 2 sequences of 2 numbers in a row. In 0 out of a
million cases there were both 2 or fewer round numbers and 2 or
fewer sequences of 2 numbers in a row. The first set given in this
thread met both of these conditions.

Those are meaningful numbers. In general, stacking
subtest upon subtest is a way to come up with a more
sensitive overall test.

OTOH those numbers may be not quite as convincing as they
might seem at first glance, for a couple of reasons. For
starters, there is a "density of states" factor:
-- The probability of getting the non-ideal number of
round numbers is very small.
-- However, the probability of getting exactly the
ideal number of round numbers is also somewhat small.

Secondly, you can seriously fool yourself by stacking
subtest upon subtest if the tests have been /selected/
after you see the data. Any number of people have been
wrongfully convicted on the basis of "statistical"
arguments of the form "what is the chance that a
person with the name Smith was walking down a street
named Jones while carrying a package of Skittles and
having the same blood-type as found at the crime scene."
Note the contrast:
-- A /randomly/ selected stack of subtests will very
soon rule out data set #2 as well as well as set #1.
-- An /artfully/ selected stack of subtests can be used
to "prove" anything you like, with very high "probability".

Richard Tarara's hypothesis that the students that produced the
student-generated set of values would tend to shy away from
sequences of numbers in a row, and mine that they would shy away from
round numbers could be exactly wrong.

That is an excellent albeit negative point. Similar words
apply to the Math Prof's intuition that a row of all primes
is a characteristically human foible.

To say the same thing another way, none of us here are
experts.

We can turn this into a positive as follows: If somebody
wanted to pay me to become an expert, there are positive
steps I would take. Among other things, I would collect
data from at least 1000 students and /find out/ what sort
of foibles they exhibited. That way I wouldn't need to
rely on uncalibrated intuition.

Note that "intuition" is not /necessarily/ a bad thing.
Kip Thorne once said that "Education is the process of
cultivating your intuition."

if someone offered you a million dollars to correctly pick the
student-generated set

That's an interesting question. I can answer with confidence,
because I have actually been in similar situations, usually
for somewhat lower stakes.

Here's one example: I was in a business/economics/management
class with a bunch of other D-level managers. The instructor
offered to pay $25.00 to anyone who could predict the outcome
of a "random" event with two possible outcomes. The question
was, how much would we pay. He opened the bidding at $10.00
and I immediately accepted. Nobody else was willing to take
the bet at that price. They all thought I was so stupid that
I shouldn't even be allowed in the class. They had all seen
too many "bar bets" where the guy offering the bet was going
to make money based on a counterintuitive outcome.

The "random" event involved tossing an upholstery tack
http://www.kennedyhardware.com/images/P/t_17070.jpg
which might land "point up" or might land lying on its
side. I had no way of predicting what would happen based
on the physics. I negotiated the terms of the deal to
make sure the instructor could not manipulate the outcome
/after/ I made my prediction.

So, he tossed his tack ... and then I stood up where
everybody could see me and tossed a coin. I made my
prediction based on my coin toss. The instructor about
fainted, because in many years of teaching the course
he'd never seen anybody do that. He knew exactly what
I had done. He made me explain it to the class. It
was the minimax strategy. It guaranteed that I could
not be punked. It guaranteed that I had a 50/50 shot
at the 25 bucks. I had won the bet, which enhanced
my credibility ... but I emphasized that even if I
had lost, I would take the same bet again, as often
as I possibly could. (At this point I lost everybody
again. If I had lost the bet, they would have taken
it as proof that nobody should take such a bet, ever.)

So here is my answer, possibly not the expected answer:
Given nothing more than the information in the original
post, *if* forced to choose, I would decide randomly.

The rationale is, there are too many ways of getting
punked. For all I know, the "student" data set came
from really smart students who had been trained to
produce good-looking random numbers, while the
"lottery" data set had been /selected/ from years
of data to find some peculiar-looking stuff.

I know absolutely this is what I would do. Been there,
done that, with lots of witnesses.

Under different conditions, for instance if I could
guarantee that I wasn't being punked, if I could be
sure that the guy providing the data was a friend
and not an adversary, *then* I would be willing to
look for messages hidden in the data.

We have discussed this before in this forum: The
correct strategy for the Monty Hall game is very
sensitive to whether you think Monty is your ally
or your adversary.

It must be emphasized that /physics/ data is different
from numbers cooked up under the control of some
un-named person. James Randi said that scientists
are easier to fool than children. He knows what he
is talking about, since he's made a career of studying
how to fool people, in his capacity as both a professional
skeptic and a brilliant magician.

Scientists are easier to fool than children, because
they spend their lives dealing with data that comes
from trusted colleagues and/or directly from Mother
Nature, i.e. from sources that aren't trying to fool
you.

It must be emphasized that the data in question here
is *not* physics data.

Also let's please keep in mind the original question: