Re: [Phys-L] textbook recommendation

My colleague uses Tom Moore's Six Ideas units R, Q, and T. R is heavy into space-time diagrams, in T there is an emphasis on statistical mechanics at the expense of some kinetic theory, and in Q the emphasis is on states and transitions between states. My colleague says it is a good book for an interactive teaching style (Mazur's peer instruction method is built in) and it is readable.

-----Original Message-----
From: Phys-l [mailto:phys-l-bounces@phys-l.org] On Behalf Of Larry Smith
Sent: Friday, February 21, 2014 1:12 PM
To: Phys-L@Phys-L.org
Subject: [Phys-L] textbook recommendation

Requests for textbook recommendations come along every once in a while
on this list, but the answers often change over time, so I'd like to re-ask
about a textbook for an introductory modern physics course.

My students are sophomores (or super-sophomores--we are a 2-yr college)
and have either completed the year-long, calc-based "physics for scientists
and engineers" series or are in its final semester. Most of them also have
had differential equations and linear algebra or are in them concurrently.

The course is just one semester (3 credit hours) without a lab. I've been
teaching it as a survey (broad but not incredibly deep).

We've been using Thorton & Rex "Modern Physics for Scientists and
Engineers," but it is too much to do in one semester and isn't always the
clearest exposition. I would love to see a book that is pitched at the right
level, covers the right set of topics, has correct physics (as John Denker
would insist), and is based on PER principles (as John Clement would insist).
Readable and engaging would be welcome bonuses.

Of the others I have already on my shelf, I think I like Randy Harris' the best;
but I would love other recommendations, with reasons.

I hope it would cover special relativity too (apparently some leave that out or
relegate it to an appendix), but it shouldn't mention relativistic mass (:-).

Thanks,
Larry

P.S. Isn't it interesting that we still call stuff that is over 100 years old
"modern"?