Re: [Phys-L] heat content

On 02/12/2014 04:20 PM, Chuck Britton wrote:
Could we say something like

“The temperatures of the oceans have increased by a certain amount, on average.”

Would that be understandable without being too ‘incorrect’.

That's entirely correct and non-misleading as far as it goes.

OTOH the article that provoked this discussion was talking about
energy, so if we want to answer the original question we need
to convert temperature to energy.

Temperature is well defined and energy is well defined, but they
are not the same thing. Really not.

We can convert one to the other in various ways. In the present
context, we can use the heat capacity. That's another well-defined
thing. The heat capacity of the ocean is eeeeenormous.

This is exactly where the average person's thinking about thermodynamics
goes off the rails. They define a Q-function such that ΔQ = C ΔT and
everything *appears* to work ... in context. It works for cramped
thermodynamics, i.e. for situations so limited that you cannot build
a heat engine.

When you extrapolate to real thermodynamics, you get to keep the
ideas of energy, temperature, heat capacity, and lots of other
things, but you do *not* get to keep the Q-function.

So what the original article did was not wrong; it's just brittle
and risky. They can get away with it /in context/ but it does
not generalize to other contexts.

There are good physics reasons why they can get away with "heat
content" in context. There are also good physics reasons why it
doesn't generalize. Changing the terminology will not solve
this part of the problem. I mention this so as to remind people
that demanding the article authors say "thermal energy" rather
than "heat energy" is no improvement whatsoever.