Re: [Phys-L] Garth Paltridge: Climate Change's Inherent Uncertainties

Perhaps we are not reading the same article. It is not a "scientific" article but rather a social commentary on the way the scientific community behaves, written by someone who has been in a position to observe the process from his high perch and who also understands the specific science both broadly and deeply. I didn't realize that one can criticize a NYT article on the grounds it is not "peer reviewed." A nice thought.

Paltridge does not say that GW and/or AGW are real or drastic, nor does he say they are not. What he says is that the data is highly uncertain, that the scientific community knows it, yet the same scientific community risked it credibility when it uncritically hitched its wagon to political interests and political advocacy business in its quest for more funding and employment opportunities. And that some in the scientific community "began to enjoy the advocacy business." And that the chickens may be coming home to roost.

He also gives some examples of scientific community promotion of one-sided interpretations of the data -- in his considered opinion -- based on the advocacy posture it has taken.

Ze'ev