Re: [Phys-L] Garth Paltridge: Climate Change's Inherent Uncertainties

Bringing up hurricanes actually might shed some light on the general attitude of the populace towards global warming. Everyone knows that hurricanes can be deadly and incredibly destructive yet their is a premium on seashore housing. People choose to accept the risks (often without adequate insurance) for the 'benefits' of sea-side life.

It would seem that despite the general skepticism that gets the brunt of 'our' attention, the real policy decisions will come down to HOW MUCH and HOW FAST. Surprisingly, at least as I see it, the U.S. is moving towards reduced carbon emissions, higher efficiencies, lower per capita resource usage at a slow but steady rate such that it is getting harder and harder to say that the U.S. (or Western Europe) are the main problems for the future. Clearly what happens in China and India over the next century will determine the ultimate trajectory of human induced green-house gasses. The international political/economic issue then has to center on these developing areas and that becomes very difficult--especially in times of a weak global economy (check your retirement funds after after the last week or so!) The summary of the Paltridge comments that Zeev posted really just state the obvious--with the science unable to narrow down the range of consequences (at this time) it is difficult to get the international cooperation and commitment for extreme action, but if that becomes possible and turns out wrong, science will take a hit in confidence. [I'm not sure that going the other way and a "WE TOLD YOU SO' would fare much better.] While we here all know the difference between weather and climate, not so many of our non-scientist friends fully grasp this and a couple more winters like this one will make those on the edge teeter to the skeptic viewpoint.

The problem here can be viewed as even more severe if one takes a point of view that was expressed on another physics list. That is, accepting that there are finite scientific, economic, and political resources available, what priorities should be set up to deal with possible future problems. To the point--is Global Warming really likely to be an extinction event? The next large meteor strike easily could be. Global epidemics or a Yellowstone eruption could be more disastrous than rising sea levels. A global economic collapse because we move too fast on global warming could rival an economic collapse because we do too little.

The decision (which really has to be international and global) about how much and how fast to deal with human-induced climate change is going to be very difficult. The existing uncertainties in the science (uncertainties of degree) make getting the consensus needed even more difficult. I would hope we do move fast enough, but that again involves China and India as central players and probably some major economic dislocations as North America and Western Europe will need to bear some of the costs. Again--tough to get that done. Of course, at current usage rates we will run out of most of the fossil fuels in a couple centuries and based on the long term (very long term) geological and climatological data, the planet will recalibrate and recover in the long run.

:-)

rwt

[One of my energy simulation models includes an international GW treaty requiring a 50 year phase out of fossil fuels. In the model, that occurs randomly (after 10 years in) but when it happens early, makes a successful outcome of the simulation very difficult.]

Richard Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College

free Physics educational software
New U.S.Energy management simulators now available.