Re: [Phys-L] Nice question on buoyancy and balance

I admit that this one has me bothered. My first thought was "no change" but then I argued myself out of that. So here goes:

First, I decided to change the ball into a cube. Instead of looking at displaced water, we can think of the buoyancy force as the gauge pressure times area of the bottom surface. (Using gauge pressure lets us ignore the downward force of air pressure from above.)

Then I imagined adding the oil slowly until the depth of the oil just reached the top of the sides of the cube. If my guess of no change in fraction submerged were right, then the bottom surface of the cube would be at a higher pressure than initially due to the new layer of oil....but then it would rise.

So I guess the cube rises as you add oil. And once the oil is above the top of the cube, no more change.

Getting back to the sphere, it seems strange because 90% of the sphere is originally submerged. It is easy to imaging the oil pushing down on the 10% that is still above the water, pushing it down further. But in fact, the increase in the pressure below wins (if I have this right).

You do have it right. A common error indeed is to focus just on the weight of the oil pushing down on the top of the ball and not consider that the oil also pushes down on the surface of the water and increases the pressure in the water which thereby pushes the bottom half of the ball upward.

The quick answer is the ball rises because... before it was only partly immersed in liquid and now it's fully immersed in liquids.

-Carl