Re: [Phys-L] Nice question on buoyance and balance

On 01/29/2014 01:15 PM, Jeffrey Schnick wrote:
Could you please spell out your complete momentum flow argument
leading up to and including the statement that the right side goes
down.

Start with the steel ball suspended above the water. All the
momentum is accounted for: The crane supports the ball and the
scale supports the beaker + water.

Now lower the ball into the water. The crane now supports one
displacement-worth less weight. By process of elimination, the
scale now supports one displacement-worth more.

The ping-pong ball is chump change.

What am I missing? I could be missing something. I solve these
things subconsciously, far removed from any attentive, sequential,
conscious process. It's a bit like an archaeological dig to go
back and try to figure out what happened. It's hard to describe
it in logical, sequential terms.

For extra credit:

Note that the weight of the steel ball doesn't actually matter,
only the displacement. Oddly enough, the displacement of the
ping-pong ball doesn't matter, only its weight. As long as
the displacement of the steel ball exceeds the weight of the
ping-pong ball, the thing tilts.