Re: [Phys-L] batteries vs capacitors

On 1/29/2014 10:58 AM, Paul Lulai wrote:
Hi.
I am wondering about the tradeoffs associated with using a capacitor vs a rechargeable battery. /snip/
I am not sure of the tradeoffs associated with storing the energy in a rechargeable battery vs a capacitor.

Any insight?

Thanks for the help.
Paul.
Storage efficiency of the capacitor is higher.
Lifetime in terms of charge/discharge cycle count is higher for the capacitor
Cost is higher for the capacitor
Voltage versus discharge at constant rate graphs differently.
Stored energy density higher for the rechargeable (??)

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

---