Re: [Phys-L] Nice question on buoyance and balance

My thoughts...
1. The shape of the water isn't an issue.
2. The steel ball isn't adding any mass to the RHS.
3. It doesn't matter whether the ping pong ball is in the water or
floating on top. All those forces are dealt with within the beaker.
4. The ping pong ball is adding its mass to the LHS.
...left sinks.

I'd like to know John's momentum-flow approach. If I ever learned it,
I've forgotten it.

Dr. Roy Jensen
Lecturer, Chemistry
E5-33F, University of Alberta