Re: [Phys-L] Nice question on buoyance and balance

On 01/29/2014 02:36 AM, Savinainen Antti wrote:

a former studen of mine send me a link to a nice question:
<http://wealthmanagement.com/question/puzzler-odd-balance>.

I usually ask a variation of this question in my class. It is, in my
opinion, a good example of conceptual reasoning which goes well
beyond rote memorization. Probably many of you have seen this
question before but I thought it might be worth sharing.

I put that in the category of problems that are very much
easier to solve in terms of momentum flow, as opposed to
force balance.
++ I was able to solve it at a glance, in a fraction of a
second, using the momentum-flow approach.
-- I had to think about it for a while to figure out a
solution based on force-balance.

The connection between force and momentum-flow is spelled
out here:
http://www.av8n.com/physics/force-intro.htm

===

Note that a goodly number of the FCI questions are in the
same category. They go from "Huh?" to "Duh!" when translated
to momentum-flow language.

More importantly, a tremendous number of real-world tasks
are in the same category. For example, fluid dynamics is
formulated in terms of the momentum transfer from one
parcel to another. I reckon it is "possible" to formulate
it in terms of the force acting at the boundary between
one parcel and another, but that would be sheer masochism.