Re: [Phys-L] weather, school, and cars

Do cars still have carburetors?

Bob at PC

-----Original Message-----
From: Phys-l [mailto:phys-l-bounces@phys-l.org] On Behalf Of Richard Tarara
Sent: Monday, January 27, 2014 11:26 PM
To: Phys-L@Phys-L.org
Subject: Re: [Phys-L] weather, school, and cars

Schools have been closed several days here (Northern Indiana--in the lake
effect snow zone) since the Xmas break, almost all because of wind chill.
Seems that neither children nor parents can be trusted to dress themselves
or their children warm enough to avoid damage. I don't ever remember this
concern in earlier years Now the counties around here have gotten into the
game as well imposing travel restrictions (to be fair mostly so they can clear
the roads drifting shut--blowing more than
snowing) but threatening $2500 fines for any non essential travel. This has
forced all the local schools--even Notre Dame--to close until Wednesday.
Morning Wednesday temps and wind chills will probably keep the public
schools closed still another day (they do have to make these up).

Again, to put this in a pseudo historical perspective, the 1978 Blizzard here
(dumping 4 ft of snow in 2 days) was the first time that the University of
Notre Dame had ever officially closed. Of course back then almost all
students lived on campus and only the poor faculty were expected to make it
in, regardless. Yes, liability and our over-abundance of lawyers, many
advertising on TV to the tune that they will sue anyone for anything, has
changed the approach to bad weather. :-\

rwt