Re: [Phys-L] collisions

   As already mentioned by J. D., in case of identical atoms fired toward each other, they, while being structurally identical, must differ in their internal states, e.g., an H-atom launched from the left must be in an excited state whereas H-atom from the right - in its ground state; or they must differ in their spin state etc. The particle's inner state is a personal ID number serving as a black dot for a classical object when the latter's path is hidden behind an opaque screen. But even with an ID attached to the quantum particle, there are many other factors complicating the game. First of all, it is very hard if not impossible to prevent the atoms from just passing by each other with only very small deflection (large impact parameter). One of the reasons, apart from the small atomic size, is the lateral spread of atomic wave packet. For a collision starting with initial separation 2 m, at a low temperature corresponding to velocity only 1 m/s,
when the atoms meet, their lateral spread will exceed their initial (Gaussian) packet width by about 13 orders of magnitude. (See, e.g., Sec. 11.4 of our recent book "Quantum Mechanics and Quantum Information", - it already got a good review by  Nick Herbert, known by his "Flash proposal" and as the author of "Quantum Reality" ). So the atoms, no matter how accurately we try to line up their initial velocities, will indeed pass one through the other almost without deflection. We could model this as motion of one atom with reduced mass in the field of the other (approximated by Lennard-Jones potential), by applying the quasi-stationary scattering theory. The advantage is the possibility to calculate the probability amplitude, and it will tell you exactly the probability of deflection of either atom for any angle. But this requires low collision energy to avoid spin or energy state exchanges. And even so, the math will be very heavy. I would suggest
qualitative prediction that at small scattering angles one could safely gamble expecting the marked atom to appear on the forward side (forward scattering). Of course, in the reference frame attached to their center of mass, the output directions will always be opposite to each other. At 90 degrees there will be 50 - 50 chance to see either atom moving along the given direction in the plane perpendicular to their initial velocities. .
  A detailed description of the relevant questions can be also found in the Feynman Lectures on Physics, Vol. 3.

Moses Fayngold,
NJIT