Re: [Phys-L] book versus video versus lecture

I find that some students can parrot statements such as "Same-sign charges repel and opposite-sign charges attract" without being able to actually say which direction the force is on a particular charged object. I start out General Physics II with lots of direction questions. We have just so much time in class so my web site for the course, phys242.ncat.edu, has a directions tutorial followed by videos I obtained about the vector-product right-hand rule. Since I've posted those videos, student ability to use that right-hand rule (needed throughout the course) has definitely improved.
Tom Sandin