Re: [Phys-L] log log graph paper

On 2014, Jan 09, , at 08:45, Rundquist, Andy <arundquist@HAMLINE.EDU> wrote:

I used to think that linearizing the equations before plotting was
unnecessary because of the curve fitting ability of things like Excel (as
Paul C says), but I've come to think that students judge the "goodness of
fit" better with linear fits than with nonlinear fits.

“… They deem a fit acceptable if a graph of data and model ‘looks good’. This approach is known as chi-by-eye. Luckily its practitioners get what they deserve.”

William H. Press, Numerical Recipes in C pp. 656-7

bc gives deserving mauvaise notes for that.