Re: [Phys-L] just for fun?

J Anim Sci. <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8567486#> 1995 Aug;73(8):2483-92.

Methane emissions from cattle.

Johnson KA <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=Johnson%20KA%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=8567486>, Johnson DE <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=Johnson%20DE%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=8567486>.

* Department of Animal Science, Washington State University, Pullman
99164, USA.

Abstract

Increasing atmospheric concentrations of methane have led scientists to examine its sources of origin. Ruminant livestock can produce 250 to 500 L of methane per day. This level of production results in estimates of the contribution by cattle to global warming that may occur in the next 50 to 100 yr to be a little less than 2%.

The above is, I hope, enough to answer your (serious?) question! :-)

rwt

I am completely out of touch with the research data.
Seems like cattle numbers track population growth.
And methane production tracks cattle numbers.
And methane is a more potent regulator than CO2.

I'd be glad to be disabused of this notion, if possible?

Brian limits_to_growth Whatcott Altus OK