Re: [Phys-L] effective teaching of scaling/ratio use

On 2014, Dec 20, , at 10:22, Richard Heckathorn <geepaw@wowway.com> wrote:

Sorry, I hit the send button before I was finished. I should have said that strength increases by a factor of four and weight increases by a factor of eight.
Thus as an adult, one is four times stronger and eight times heavier. No wonder a two-year-old has so much energy as their strengths to weight ratio must be larger to accommodate the reduced strength to weight ratio as an adult.
Dick

That’s why elephants can’t jump?

Why Can't Elephants Jump? - 29 September 2010 - New Scientist

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn19491-why-cant-elephants-jump.html

bc has, but not read that book.

p.s. fleas jump many times their height, I know!