Re: [Phys-L] definition of "power"

Really, you need to be careful in every instance to be very clear. An example that can have some consequences would be talking about a natural gas fired electrical power plant. The rated electrical power output of the plant might be 1000 MW (and of course a 1000 MW of electrical power is seldom actually delivered to the end-users). Suppose an environmentally minded lay-person is building a house in this area and the builder asks whether electrical heat or gas heat is desired. The person might think that it doesn't really matter since his electrical power is being produced by natural gas (one could even assume --wrongly--that electrical energy and natural gas are going for the same price per therm produced in the house). We all know that the thermal conversion of the natural gas is running at 2400-3000 MW in order to produce the 1000 MW electrical output and therefore an environmentally concerned person should really opt for the gas fired furnace! Similarly thinking about a plug-in electrical car being powered by a coal-fired plant might not be as friendly as one might hope and might not be much better than driving a high-mileage gasoline car.

In other words, talking about Power here always involves energy, but how detailed we want to be with the energy conversions involved in a given situation will dictate how detailed we should be with our power descriptions.

rwt