Re: [Phys-L] How to deal with climate change?

On 2014, Oct 13, , at 15:02, John Denker <jsd@av8n.com> wrote:

On 10/13/2014 10:16 AM, Savinainen Antti wrote

<http://scitation.aip.org/content/aip/magazine/physicstoday/article/67/10/10.1063/PT.3.2548>

Yes, that's a really nice paper.

I particularly like this passage:

We simply don’t know — and probably can’t know — precisely how climate
will change or how resilient our society will be to the impacts that
result.

We need to start talking in regional terms, not just purely global
terms. The sources of the problem are highly variable from region
to region, and then the CO2 spreads globally, and then the effects
are highly variable from region to region. The disconnect between
cause and effect is part of the problem.

For example, Bangladesh is not emitting all that much CO2. On the
other hand, it is safe to predict that Bangladeshi society and
culture will not survive. They are going to get wiped out by sea-
level rise.

Another Poisson: And tomorrow’s today: [14 X 2014 UK]

Entire nation of Kiribati to be relocated over rising sea level threat
The low-lying Pacific nation of Kiribati is negotiating to buy land in Fiji so it can relocate islanders under threat from rising sea levels.

Entire nation of Kiribati to be relocated over rising sea level threat - Telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/australiaandthepacific/kiribati/9127576/Entire-nation-of-Kiribati-to-be-relocated-over-rising-sea-level-threat.html

"What we need is the international community to come up with an urgent funding package to deal with that ambition, and the needs of countries like Kiribati."
=========
We in the USA are most responsible for this. Better our taxes for this than Iraq?

The Telegraph is a bit late on this.

Again:

We simply don’t know — and probably can’t know — precisely how climate
will change or how resilient our society will be to the impacts that
result.

History tells us that it is very hard to predict how a society
will respond to stress.

By way of analogy, it is easy to point to a stand of trees
and say "they were killed by beetles". That may be true in
some narrow sense, but it at the same time it completely misses
the point, because if the trees had not been stressed by climate
change they would have been able to fight off the beetles.

The AG. business in CA appears doomed and not only from the drought.

Greenhouse Growing: Climate Change is Wreaking Havoc on your Meal Table | California Magazine

http://alumni.berkeley.edu/california-magazine/fall-2014-radicals/greenhouse-growing-climate-change-wreaking-havoc-your-meal

and:

Heat and Harvest – the documentary | QUEST

http://science.kqed.org/quest/video/heat-and-harvest/