Re: [Phys-L] Q of a non-linear oscillator

On 9/12/2013 4:46 PM, Bernard Cleyet wrote:
People!

I have data [position(time] of a hardening linear oscillator for which I wish to find the Q. Can I assume the max. speed squared for each half cycle represents the approximate energy? If so no prob.?

bc

p.s. It's very damped only five cycles which is why I wrote approximate E.

Person! The Q measurement is associated with the dissipation rate of energy. For many oscillators,
like the pendulum that I expect you are examining, the dissipation rate varies cyclically. It would be better, if
only two measures per cycle are obtained, to take a measure when the dissipation rate is least. In your case,
that might occur at the directional reversal.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK