From: Phys-l [mailto:phys-l-bounces@phys-l.org] On Behalf Of William Maddox
Sent: Friday, 16 August 2013 9:04 AM
To: Phys-L@Phys-L.org
Subject: [Phys-L] The Make-Believe World of Real-World Physics

From: WC Maddox

In response to Chuck Britton's message below there is now a video of the Monkey Shoot showing the effect of the speed of the ball. The video was provided by Allen Crockett (arcrock@fas.harvard.edu).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jGZnMf3rPo

"IMHO this video would be much more useful if, instead of showing the same shot at different frame-rates and from different angles, it included at least three different 'muzzle velocities' with identical aiming and target height.

Seeing then that the golf ball and monkey reach the same point at the same time would be more impressive.

High muzzle velocity => hit occurs high up.
Medium Muzzle velocity => hit occurs at mid height Low muzzle velocity => hit occurs near ground

of course it would take some effort to get the three muzzle velocities 'just right'"