From: Carl Mungan <mungan@usna.edu>
To: phys-l@phys-l.org
Sent: Wednesday, August 7, 2013 12:55 PM
Subject: [Phys-L] feedback control for zero output

I have a device I'm trying to construct in which I want to null all the
light coming out one port and have it all go out another port. However, the
light is very intense, so I don't want to sample the "on" port. I'd rather
have a detector monitoring the "off" port to use as the feedback signal.
But the problem is "off" isn't a very good condition to monitor. (It's very
subject to noise.)

Is there a way to build a feedback control using a null as input? I tried
googling various terms and couldn't find a good starting point to get me
thinking about this stuff productively.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. -Carl

--
Carl E Mungan, Assoc Prof of Physics  410-293-6680 (O) -3729 (F)
Naval Academy Stop 9c, 572C Holloway Rd, Annapolis MD 21402-1363