[Phys-L] representing Greek letters, math symbols, et cetera

On 07/27/2013 11:48 AM, David Bowman wrote:
BTW, I switched the argument of the function from [theta] to x
because I noticed on my last post that when I sent Unicode versions
of Greek [theta] and [mu] they came back to me on the list garbled
by being turned into gravely accented e and i respectively. But the
post in the archives seems to have the Greek characters unmolested.
If anyone can tell me how to send Greek characters to the list
without them being molested by the software I would appreciate it.

General debugging hints:

1) Consider the various possibilities; the problem could be in
the mail reader, or the mail sender, or the transport chain or
some combination of the above.

Using a web browser to look at the archives is a good first step.

Using a dissimilar mail reader to look at the message is another
good step. I can report that the message sent on 07/27/2013 07:09 AM
arrived chez moi with Greek letters intact.

2) Look at the email headers (mime headers) of your message. Search
for the content-type ... which should exist and which should specify
a charset.

The aforementioned message arrived chez moi with a header calling for
the ISO/IEC 8859-7 "Latin/Greek" codepage (aka charset).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO/IEC_8859-7

3) Consider the possibility that the message was sent with *no* mime
content-type or perhaps no charset specified at all, in which case
something in the transport chain might insert a default, which might
or might not be what you want, and (worse) might be irreproducible.

4) If in doubt, configure your mail-sender to use UTF-8. This is pretty
well supported nowadays. Linux has supported unicode for eons, and
even the Beast of Redmond supports it now. It's kinda hard to ship
anything to China without unicode support.

The advantage of unicode over ISO/IEC 8859-7 is that unicode supports
math symbols and operators -- such as integral, del, equiv, hbar --
plus other non-Latin non-Greek entities.
Жуковский == Zhukovsky
Włodzimierz Kołos

5) If your mail software doesn't support UTF-8, replace it with something
that does. Thunderbird is nice to use. It is free and widely supported.