Re: [Phys-L] Instructional resources (Was: Indicators of quality teaching)

I originally asked this question.

Regarding physics textbooks (which I have many), they all basically look
the same -- very thick and full of too much information that is hard for
students to read/understand. Kids get turned off by a subject that is
exciting. It's such a shame. Maybe it's the publishers that want all books
to follow a certain standard. I believe it was difficult for Hewitt to get
his first book published.

For the first time this fall, I will not be using a book. I used them in
the past, but students never read them. Waste of money. I have my own
notes that I've been giving my students for years. These are clear,
compact, and concise. I supplement the course with MC and math. Much
better than any textbook -- in print or online -- can offer. Student have
given me much positive feedback...